Next meeting will be May 4, 2016 at Flathead County Fairgrounds 7:00pm
A Regular meeting of the Whitefish Rifle and Pistol Club was held on March 2016 with three board members and 22 members present.
Range Lease Renewal March 2016
Our current lease for the outdoor range has expired on March 1, 2016. As of this newsletter we have not seen the new lease. We are anticipating an increase in the yearly lease fee and we have been informed that we will also be required to provide a security bond, and that our lease will be shortened from 15 years to 10 years. These are fairly significant changes that were discussed at both the November and January meetings.
Membership Dues Increase
In light of the expected changes in the new lease, the board put to the membership at the January meeting and passed a request to increase the dues for the following reasons:
- • Expected increase in the range lease from DNRC
- • Expected requirement on the lease to provide a $10,000 Security bond as a requirement of the lease
- • The necessity to have a lawyer represent the club because of the many challenges our neighbors are presenting to make us move
- • If the rifle range is to survive in the current location we are going to have to aggressively defend ourselves and improve the safety on the range
- • We need to continue to have the safest range possible
Submitting an idea to the membership for an event. After a lively debate on getting an event a member of the club was interested in, I decided to put in this newsletter some specifics on what a club member should have when proposing a new event to the membership.
- • What facilities are going to be needed for the event? Do we need to build bays or berms or whatever? Or can we use the existing facilities?
- • Do we need to purchase anything, such as targets etc.?
- • What kind of interest is there in the club or valley?
- • Are you willing to head up a committee to make this event happen?
- • What are the costs for the club if known?
Elections were held at the March meeting and your board for 2016 is:
- President - Gavin Corrigan
- Vice President - Justin Beaureguard
- Secretary - Stan Rube
- Treasurer - Bill Etter
- Executive Officer - Bill LaFontaine
- Chief Trainer - Dave Speer
Range Events 2016
Rifle range will be closed for general use for the following events in 2016:
- • Range Clean Up Day – April 9th 8:00AM until done. All ranges will be closed for this clean up.
- • Women on Target setup on Friday July 15th from 12:00pm to dark, and Event on Saturday July 16th All day. All ranges will be closed for this event both days.
- • Hunters Sight-in October 21st & 22nd, and again on October 15th & 16th. From 9:00am to 4:00pm each day. All ranges will be closed for this event both days.
- • Rifle range only will be reserved for a High-power Rifle League Thursday nights from 5:30pm until 7:30pm from April 7 to July 14. Pistol range will be open at this time./li>
This is an FYI for everyone on things that need to be done on the April Range Clean Up:
- 1. Remove trash on range, and replace any target boards that need replacing. Most of the target boards were replaced the Saturday after our meeting as we didn’t think we could wait until April
- 2. Cut down any small trees growing in ranges
- 3. Remove two old Outhouses
- 4. Remove steel and wood from pile behind 300 parking-lot
- 5. Clear and mark a path between Outhouse and pistol range
Some other things we are looking at for this year depending on the money we have available after we renew the lease:
- 1. Grading and graveling the roads on the range. (This will be done as we have the money)
- 2. Redoing the berms behind all target boards. (Must submit a plan to DNRC for approval)
- 3. New signs on road and range. (Availability of money)
- 4. Handicap access ramp to Pistol range. (Money is issue here as well)
High-power Rifle League
We are starting a High-power Rifle League on April 7th to July 14th, 5:30pm to 7:30pm. If anyone is interested in NRA High-power rifle shooting or would just like to come out and try it please contact Scott Wehrmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information. All that is needed is a center fire rifle capable of holding 5 rounds, (AR15’s are perfect) and 50 rounds of ammo. All shooting will be at 100 yds, with 4 positions being shot. Standing, Sitting Rapid Fire, Prone Rapid Fire, and Prone Slow Fire.
President Whitefish Rifle & Pistol Club
Gavin N. Corrigan